I’m very much interested in health promotion and disease prevention programs, therefore, every course I attend for the Master I try to focus my learning on this subject, and this time it will not be different.
The changing presence of Internet in our everyday lives raises important questions about its impact on access to resources and social interactions; and this is what I'm going to study and learn in this term.
Until not very long time ago the majority of websites and resources available were almost exclusively in English so the Internet was not supposed to be for everyone. This fact it is been called as the digital divide, which means that the lack of Internet access and use increase social inequality. Today, it is not our reality anymore; we see the figures in regards to how many people have access to ‘the digital world’ (information and communication technologies) are increasing very rapidly, especially in developing countries but mostly in Asia and Middle East. It is believed that the advent of smart phones may be the reason for such increase. Knowledge is now free on the Internet.
It’s clear that people on the Internet can use time more effectively and may get more communication and information out of their day. For example, emails allow people to communicate on their own time.
We can search what and when we want in different languages; we can reach a giant different types of resources to find what we are interested in or even what we are currently working on. I see this as a good example of self-directed learning as part of informal education we all acquire throughout our lives.
The social networking websites have also a huge impact in our daily lives. They not only bring the possibility of close ties, fast communication, regardless geography or time, but very importantly allow information sharing.
This information can be shared in such unlimited ways through all the available Internet resources we have. Some examples are: videos, music, instant messages through mobile phones, Facebook , Twitter , Orkut , Flickr, MySpace, youtube videos, Skipe, and so forth.
Sometimes, I feel very frustrated when I know that there are millions of pages and online applications and devices out there that I’m still not aware of, and also because I cannot even keep up with the ones I’ve already accessed. But I also just learned this is an 'impossible mission'.
I knew already an interesting website that I can find what I’m looking for quickly; it is definitely a time saver website! Check it out on the right sidebar- All my faves.
During the last couple of weeks I've been learning a huge amount of interesting online applications known as Web 2.0, which is the more human aspects of interactivity; it is ultimately about a social phenomenon.
For example, I’ve never heard of some search agents and tools such: delicious , technorati, StumbleUpon, and zuula ; I've also learned one example of virtual worlds such as Second Life , and avatars.
And I'm sure this goes on forever.
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Social Networking Wars: SuperNews!
Health 2.0 Version 2 response to The Machine is Us/ing Us
"Imagine an electronic page for each species of organism on Earth, available everywhere by single access on command." - The Encyclopedia of Life

No comments:
Post a Comment